Embracing the goal to enhance and support the rich artistic talent on Long Island, LIM has created a special membership opportunity for visual artists, LIMarts: a collaborative arts group. Designed for artists dedicated to creating a new forum within our cultural community, LIMarts offers space for the exhibition and sale of artwork, varied programming events, lectures and opportunities for social gathering with other artists and the public. For information about becoming an LIMarts members, e-mail Alexandria D’Auria.
Artist of the Month: Doug Reina
The subject is no longer the main thing, now it’s sharing the spotlight with the sensuous qualities that I find in the paint itself. As I’m painting, I am thinking about what’s happening on the surface of the canvas; is there any texture there, are there swaths of broken color over broken color, am I allowing ambiguity into the work?
As a result of this thinking, I am able to make paintings that are more personal and exciting to me.
~ Doug Reina
See Doug’s work on display in the Visitors Center through May 2019 or visit his website.
- Celebrate the arts as a key component to the vitality, diversity and cultural richness of Long Island
- Maximize the Long Island Museum’ continuing role in telling the history of Long Island’s artisans – past, present and future.
- Include representation from a broad spectrum of visual artists and artisans
- Provide a forum for the local and regional arts community to gather and exchange ideas
- Advocate, promote and exhibit visual arts from the Long Island/metropolitan area
- Strengthen relationships between the LIM community and Long Island artists
- Develop ways to connect artists and the public through innovative education programs, events and exhibitions