We are happy to invite you to participate in our 21st Annual Colors of Long Island student art exhibit, sponsored by Sterling National Bank. The exhibit will be on view in the museum Visitors Center from February 22 – April 7, 2019.
- We will be accepting only two pieces of student work per school.
- You may choose to submit one group project in lieu of individual pieces. Group projects will be limited to one per school, with a maximum of 12 students participating. The students should all contribute to one finished, cohesive piece. (Group projects are not meant to be individual artworks mounted as one.)
- Works may be in any medium and may be no larger than 36” in any one direction. We regret that anything larger will not be accepted.
- Please submit only one registration per school. Coordinate your efforts with any other teacher(s) in your building who may want to submit an entry, as no exceptions will be made for additional entries. We are only able to accept either two individual student pieces or one group piece, regardless of the number of teachers at a school.
- All art should be ready to hang/install by the Long Island Museum. Please note that paper-mounted works will be stapled to gallery walls; all other hanging items should have appropriate mounting hooks, hardware and/or wire attached. We cannot accept works with self-adhesive mounting hooks, as they fall from the gallery walls.
Registration and Drop-Off process
- Registration opens November 14th and closes January 3rd. There is only one step in the registration process: you will submit all school, student and artwork info. Please do not register until you have all details prepared.
- To register, visit our website at www.longislandmuseum.org and click on the Learn and Explore tab. Then under School Programs, click on Colors of Long Island. Please only register your school using either the group project entry form or the individual student(s) entry form.
- Shipped artworks must be received by January 22, 2019.
- Hand-delivered art may be dropped off at the Visitors Center on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, February 5th, from noon to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 6th, from noon to 5:30 p.m.
- Entries will not be accepted after these dates.
- Students, parents and teachers are invited to a reception honoring the artists. Passes & information for the reception will be handed out or mailed when artwork is received by the museum.
- Reception for Eastern Suffolk students: Sunday, March 3, Time TBD
- Reception for Western Suffolk students: Sunday, March 24, Time TBD
- Reception for Nassau students: Sunday, March 24, Time TBD
- If you would like to have the art mailed back to you, you must include a pre-paid return postage label as well as appropriate packaging. Please have the box/artwork weighed and include enough postage. We regret that we are not able to accept checks or cash for postage.
- Artwork not mailed back must be picked up by a teacher or knowledgeable representative at the Visitors Center on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, April 9th, from noon to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 10th, from noon to 5:30 p.m.
Artwork cannot be picked up before the pick-up dates and we cannot hold artwork past these dates.
We look forward to working with you to create another wonderful exhibition. Please e-mail us at email@example.com or
call (631) 751-0066 x212 or 283 if you have further questions.