Registration for the Colors of Long Island 2020 Student Art Exhibition has closed.
If you would like to be added to our mailing list for next year’s exhibition, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (631) 751-0066 x283
Information for teachers registered for the 2020 Colors of Long Island Exhibition
Now that your registration is complete, the next step is to submit your students’ artwork. Below is the outlined drop off process, as well as information about your students’ reception & the artwork pick-up process:
Labeling Artwork: Please DO NOT label the FRONT of your students’ artwork. We will be printing and mounting museum gallery labels that will be installed on the walls with your student work. If you are unable to print the back-of-artwork label attached here, please label the back of each submitted piece clearly with the following information:
- School name
- Teacher name
- Student name
- Artwork title
Please note the direction of the artwork on the back label or somewhere on the back of each piece.
Mounting Artwork: All art should be ready to hang/install by the Long Island Museum. Please note that paper-mounted works will be stapled to gallery walls; all other hanging items should have appropriate mounting hooks, hardware and/or wire attached. We cannot accept works with self-adhesive mounting hooks, as they fall from the gallery walls.
- Artworks can be no larger than 36” in any one direction.
Shipping Artwork: Shipped artworks must be received by the museum by January 23, 2020
Kristin Cuomo – Education Department
Long Island Museum
1200 Route 25A
Stony Brook, NY 11790
Dropping off Artwork: Hand-delivered art may be dropped off at the Visitors Center on the following days and times. Visitor’s Center is located at 1200 Route 25A, it is the parking lot/building on the north side of Route 25A :
- Tuesday, February 4th, from noon to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 5th, from noon to 5:30 p.m.
- Entries will not be accepted after these dates.
Gallery Labels: Upon artwork drop-off you will be asked to proof-read and confirm the information that you submitted for the gallery wall label(s). The museum uses the information you entered into the online form to create, mount and hang a gallery label that corresponds to your student artwork.
Reception: Students, parents and teachers are invited to a reception honoring the artists. The museum extends free admission to teachers, school staff and students. Students will be given passes that entitle them to bring two free guests, as well. Passes for reception & information for teachers and students will be handed out or mailed when artwork is received by the museum.
- Receptions for Eastern Suffolk students: Sunday, March 8, 12-2pm & 2-4pm
- Reception for Western Suffolk students: Sunday, March 22, 12-2pm
- Reception for Nassau students: Sunday, March 22, 2-4pm
- Suffolk Schools: Your passes will delineate whether your school is located in Eastern or Western Suffolk.
- Eastern Suffolk Schools: The museum will determine which districts attend each reception time based on the volume of registrants. This is for everyone’s safety, so that we do not exceed the number of people who can safely visit the exhibit. We will not be able to confirm your time slot until the week of artwork drop, when you will receive your passes with your time indicated.
Returning Shipping: If you mail in your student work and would like to have the art mailed back to you, you must include a pre-paid return postage label as well as appropriate packaging. Please have the box/artwork weighed and include enough postage. We regret that we cannot accept checks or cash for postage.
Artwork Pickup: Artwork not mailed back must be picked up by a teacher or knowledgeable representative at the Visitors Center on the following days and times:
- Tuesday, March 24, from noon to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 25, from noon to 5:30 p.m.
- Artwork cannot be picked up before the pick-up dates. We also cannot hold your artwork past these dates.
Please e-mail us at email@example.com or call (631) 751-0066 x212 or 283 if you have further questions.