Embracing the goal to enhance and support the rich artistic talent on Long Island, LIM has created a special membership opportunity for visual artists, LIMarts: a collaborative arts group. Designed for artists dedicated to creating a new forum within our cultural community, LIMarts offers space for the exhibition and sale of artwork, varied programming events, lectures and opportunities for social gathering with other artists and the public. For information about becoming an LIMarts members, e-mail Alexandria D’Auria.
The Long Island Museum and LIMarts are pleased to present the 6th annual members’-only exhibition, Anything Goes! Members are invited to create and submit artwork, and as the title suggests, anything goes! Help us close out our 80th anniversary celebration on a high note!
Click here for Submission Guidelines
Click here for Entry Form
Artist of the Month: Fred Mendelsohn, M.D., M.A., F.A.A.N.
“I began my lifelong love and study of painting when I was 10 years old. I was fortunate to live next door to a professional artist who taught me drawing techniques and linear perspective. While I wanted to paint he insisted that I learn to draw before he would allow me to pick up a brush often reminding me that, ‘If you can’t draw it you can’t paint it.’ My formal educational career progressed from music to marine biology and ultimately to neurology, leaving little time to paint. As life settled down a bit, I was able to once again pursue my dream of becoming a competent artist. I studied painting with Christian White working both in his studio and Plein aire. I later enrolled at the Art Student League in NYC and learned figure drawing and still life painting with Robert Cenedella. I studied portraiture at the Art league of Long Island with Nanette Fleur and locally with Michael Parisi. Recent years found me again at the Art League of Long Island studying landscape painting with David Peikan.
I am proud to be a member of the LIM artists group as well at the Setauket Artists of Long Island and the North Shore Art Guild.”
See Fred’s work on display at the Visitors Center through August 31st.
- Celebrate the arts as a key component to the vitality, diversity and cultural richness of Long Island
- Maximize the Long Island Museum’ continuing role in telling the history of Long Island’s artisans – past, present and future.
- Include representation from a broad spectrum of visual artists and artisans
- Provide a forum for the local and regional arts community to gather and exchange ideas
- Advocate, promote and exhibit visual arts from the Long Island/metropolitan area
- Strengthen relationships between the LIM community and Long Island artists
- Develop ways to connect artists and the public through innovative education programs, events and exhibitions